Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts
Blue Cross Blue Shield is not one single insurance company, but a collection of franchises that are all independently operated and which have vastly different policies and coverage criteria.
Step 1: Look at your insurance card
- If your plan is administered by BCBS of Massachusetts, it will say so either on the front or back of the card
- If your plan is administered by BCBS of another state, see the insurance center for Out of State Blue Cross Blue Shield plans
Step 2: Obtain your insurance referral, if you need one
- Most BCBSMA plans require an "insurance referral" from your primary care physician.
- Call your Primary Care Physician's office
- Let them know that you have an appointment for speech therapy
- Give them our National Provider Identifier - 1558424994
- Ask for 10 visits to start with
- Ask your Primary Care Physician to fax us the referral at 781-329-2207
- If you believe you do not need a referral, you should make certain of this.
- Option 1: Call member services and ask if a referral is needed for speech therapy
- Option 2: Log into the BCBSMA Member Central to look up your coverage and exclusions
Do you have a deductible?
- Be aware that your deductible begins again with each new plan year. For some, this will be January 1, for others this will be based on the plan year established by your employer.
- If you have a deductible, you will pay your co-payment at the time of your visit as usual. When Blue Cross Blue Shield lets us know the balance due, we will bill you for your deductible amount.
Do you have a Blue Benefits plan? These plans are highly variable and have unique authorization processes. Not subject to Massachusetts mandated coverage rules. Be certain to call Member Services.